Pt. I: Yesterday
FIL: (voice in cell phone) Good evening. This is [ ].
Me: (screaming hysterically into cell phone) Hello!!! Would you mind moving your car?!?
FIL: What?
Me: You're blocking my space, and I can't park!!! I just got back from work, and I'm wearing a suit!!! We're in the middle of a torrential rain storm, and there's lightning going off right over my head!!!
FIL: (monosyllabic grunt of acknowledgment)
Me: Why do I have to park down the street?!? Why are you blocking my space?!? I'm...
BOOM!!!
Me: [expletive] That hit a pole not a hundred meters away! I can't get out of my car! Would you PLEASE move yours so I can park?
FIL: Just run to the house. You'll be fine. [click]
Pt. II Today
FIL: That rain today was really something, wasn't it? Mm! Yeah! It was something!
Me: (frosty tone) Yes, it was.
FIL: The rain yesterday was really something, too!
Me: Speaking of which, could you tell me why you blocked my parking space so I couldn't park when I came home last night?
FIL: What?
Me: Remember? Last night? Your car was blocking my space?
FIL: (monosyllabic grunt of acknowledgment)
Me: So I had to park down the street?
FIL: Yeah, that was terrible rain, wasn't it? And that lightning...
Me: And all you had to say was, "Just run to the house. You'll be fine"?
FIL: (monosyllabic grunt of acknowledgment)
Me: In the down-pouring rain, in my suit, with lightning hitting all around me?
FIL: (totally unconcerned) Yesterday I had some blankets hanging outside. When the rain first started, I had to run outside and bring them in.
Me: What?
FIL: I had to bring the blankets in quickly, all by myself. No one was here.
Me: I was at work yesterday...
FIL: And the greenhouse. I had to put on a rain poncho and go out in the down-pouring rain, with lightning hitting all around me, so I could close the door.
Me: I didn't have a rain poncho. I was wearing a suit.
FIL: A suit?
Me: And I had to park down the street...a lot further away than the greenhouse...
FIL: Yeah, that rain was really something, wasn't it? Well, that's enough dinner. I gotta get back to work! Busy...I'm always busy... (leaves)
(And this guy wonders why I'm not more enthusiastic about helping him?)

0 Yorumlar