There is something rather lovely about eating things 'out of season'. No, I don't mean summer food in winter and visa versa. I mean the kind of things that grow in one season and are eaten the next. Now we all know that can of course apply to dried, frozen and canned food so what on earth am I talking about?
Essence of summer!
There are only few things that retain their summer smells well. Elderflower's are one such lovely gift. Elderflower cordial, champagne, cake, sugar and new to me this year, Elderflower and Vanilla Jelly.
Here is the strained liquid from yesterday, coming to a simmer with 1 vanilla pod and its seeds scraped out.
I don't normally use sugar with pectin in it so had to buy some pectin, here waiting with the sugar to go in the pan.
An awful lot of scum seems to be forming (and I reckon it was the scum that stole all my vanilla seeds!)
Finished product - however - some fine grains of pectin are present. Whether this will have an adverse effect on long term storage I don't know but all the lids have now popped to show they have sealed.
There was just a couple of tablespoons left which we had on crumpets after lunch. It has an aromatic Elderflower taste but somehow mingled with a Turkish delight flavour....
Remember the chive vinegar I was making - well here it is in all its glory, 1 litre of chive flavoured pinky-purple madness.

0 Yorumlar